Anaïs graduated from the Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Chimie de Rennes (French Engineering College in Rennes) with an MSc degree in chemistry in 2008. She then moved to Switzerland at the University of Neuchâtel in the group of Prof. Robert Deschenaux to complete her PhD on mesomorphic properties of metallo-dendritic assemblies.
She was awarded in 2012 a fellowship for prospective researchers from the Swiss National Science Foundation to undertake a one-year research project on cylindrical micelles under the guidance of Prof. Rachel K. O’Reilly and Prof. Andrew P. Dove at the University of Warwick. She then embraced the analysis of soft matter assemblies by synchrotron small-angle X-ray scattering and transmission electron microscopy in the O’Reilly group. She also joined the group of Dr Nicolas Barry for 6 months to synthesise and analyse in situ precious metal nanocrystals by high-resolution electron microscopy. Anaïs rejoined the Dove group in February 2016 to work on the design of novel elastomers by step-growth polymerisation. Early 2017, Anaïs joined the bioinorganic cluster at the University of Bradford to work on the development of novel metal complexes for different applications such as anticancer drugs or nanomaterials.
Anaïs started a Lecturer position in September 2019 in the School of Chemistry and Biosciences at the University of Bradford.
47. Preclinical Anticancer Activity of an Electron‐Deficient Organoruthenium(II) Complex, J. J. Soldevila‐Barreda, M. Azmanova, A. Pitto‐Barry, P. A. Cooper, S. D. Shnyder, N. P. E. Barry, ChemMedChem, 2020, DOI: 10.1002/cmdc.202000096.
46. The Sound of Chemistry: Translating Infrared Wavenumbers into Musical Notes, N. Garrido, A. Pitto-Barry, J. J. Soldevila Barreda, A. Lupan, L. Comerford Boyes, W. Martin, and N. P. E. Barry, Journal of Chemical Education, 2020, 97, 703-709, DOI: 10.1021/acs.jchemed.9b00775.
45. Effect of Temperature on the Nucleation and Growth of Precious Metal Nanocrystals, A. Pitto-Barry and N. P. E. Barry, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2019, 58, 18482-18486, DOI: 10.1002/anie.201912219.
44. Anticancer activity of electron‐deficient metal complexes against colorectal cancer in vitro models,
M. Azmanova, J. J. Soldevila-Barreda, H. Bani Hani, R.M. Lord, A. Pitto-Barry, S. Picksley, and N. P. E. Barry, ChemMedChem, 2019, 14, 1887-1893, DOI: 10.1002/cmdc.201900528
43. Influence of boron doping on the dynamics of formation of Os metal nanoclusters on graphitic surfaces, A. Pitto-Barry and N. P. E. Barry, Chemical Communications, 2019, 55, 6038-6041, DOI: 10.1039/c9cc01974j
42. Controlled Release of Carbon Monoxide from a Pseudo Electron-Deficient Organometallic Complex, A. Pitto-Barry and N. P. E. Barry, ACS Omega, 2018, 3, 15623-15627, DOI: 10.1021/acsomega.8b02154
41. Exploiting topology-directed nanoparticle disassembly for triggered drug delivery, M. C. Arno, R. J. Williams, P. Bexis, A. Pitto-Barry , N. Kirby, A. P. Dove, R. K. O’Reilly, Biomaterials , 2018, 180, 184-192, DOI: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2018.07.019
40. New Class of Hybrid Materials for Detection, Capture, and “On-Demand” Release of Carbon Monoxide, A. Pitto-Barry, A. Lupan, C. Ellingford, A. A. A. Attia, N. P. E. Barry, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2018, 10, 13693-13701, DOI: 10.1021/acsami.8b01776
39. Structural determinants of the stability of enzyme‐responsive polyion complex (PIC) nanoparticles targeting Pseudomonas aeruginosa Elastase, I. Insua, M. Petit, L. D. Blackman, R. Keogh, A. Pitto-Barry, R. K. O’Reilly, A. F. Peacock, A.-M. Krachler, F. Fernandez-Trillo, ChemNanoMat, 2018, 4, 807-814, DOI: .
38. Schizophrenia: synthetic strategies and recent advances in drug design, M. Azmanova, A. Pitto-Barry, N. P. E. Barry, Medicinal Chemistry Communications, 2018, 9, 759-782, DOI: 10.1039/c7md00448f
36. Controlled fabrication of osmium nanocrystals by electron, laser and microwave irradiation and characterisation by microfocus X-ray absorption spectroscopy, A. Pitto-Barry, K. Geraki, M. D. Horbury, V. G. Stavros, J. F. W. Mosselmans, R. I. Walton, P. J. Sadler, and N. P. E. Barry, Chemical Communications, 2017, 53, 12898-12901, DOI: 10.1039/C7CC07133G
35. Pseudo electron-deficient organometallics: limited reactivity towards electron-donating ligands, A. Pitto-Barry, A. Lupan, M. Zegke, T. Swift, A. A. A. Attia, R. M. Lord, and N. P. E. Barry, Dalton Transactions, 2017, 46, 15676-15683, DOI: 10.1039/C7DT02827J
34. 1D vs. 2D shape selectivity in the crystallization-driven self-assembly of polylactide block copolymers, M. Inam, G. Cambridge, A. Pitto-Barry, Z. P. L. Laker, N. R. Wilson, R. T. Mathers, A. P. Dove, and R. K. O’Reilly, Chemical Science, 2017, 8, 4223-4230, DOI: 10.1039/C7SC00641A, part of the themed collection ISACS21: Challenges in Nanoscience
33. The hydrolytic behavior of N,N’-(dimethylamino) ethyl acrylate-functionalized polymeric stars, M. S. Rolph, A. Pitto-Barry, and R. K. O’Reilly, Polymer Chemistry, 2017, 8, 5060-5070, DOI: 10.1039/C7PY00219J
32. CO2/pH-responsive particles with built-in fluorescence read-out, A. B. Mabire, Q. Brouard, A. Pitto-Barry, R. J. Williams, H. Willcock, N. Kirby, E. Chapman, R. K. O’Reilly, Polymer Chemistry, 2016, 7, 5943-5948, DOI: 10.1039/C6PY01254J
31. Nanoparticles of chitosan conjugated to organo-ruthenium complexes, Y. Wang, A. Pitto-Barry, A. Habtemariam, I. Romero-Canelon, P. J. Sadler and N. P. E. Barry, Inorganic Chemistry Frontiers, 2016, 3, 1058-1064, DOI: 10.1039/C6QI00115G
30. Micellar nanoparticles with tuneable morphologies through interactions between nucleobase-containing synthetic polymers in aqueous solution, Z. Hua, A. Pitto-Barry, Y. Kang, N. Kirby, T. R. Wilks, R. K. O’Reilly, Polymer Chemistry, 2016, 7, 4254-4262, DOI: 10.1039/C6PY00716C
29. Use of complementary nucleobase-containing synthetic polymers to prepare complex self-assembled morphologies in water, Y. Kang, A. Pitto-Barry, M. S. Rolph, Z. Hua, I. Hands-Portman, N. Kirby and R. K. O’Reilly, Polymer Chemistry, 2016, 7, 2836-2846, DOI: 10.1039/C6PY00263C
28. Cyclic graft copolymer unimolecular micelles: Effects of cyclization on particle morphology and thermoresponsive behavior, R. J. Williams, A. Pitto-Barry, N. Kirby, A. P. Dove, and R. K. O’Reilly, Macromolecules, 2016, 49, 2802-2813, DOI: 10.1021/acs.macromol.5b02710
27. Core functionalization of semi-crystalline polymeric cylindrical nanoparticles using photo-initiated thiol–ene radical reactions, L. Sun, A. Pitto-Barry, A. W. Thomas, M. Inam, K. Doncom, A. P. Dove, and R. K. O’Reilly, Polymer Chemistry, 2016, 7, 2337-2341, DOI: 10.1039/C5PY01970B
26. Dynamics of formation of Ru, Os, Ir and Au metal nanocrystals on doped graphitic surfaces, A. Pitto-Barry, P. J. Sadler, N. P. E. Barry, Chemical Communications, 2016, 52, 3895-3898, DOI: 10.1039/C5CC09564F
25. The synthesis and unexpected solution chemistry of thermochromic carborane-containing osmium half-sandwich complexes, A. Pitto-Barry, A. South, A. Rodger, and N. P. E. Barry, Dalton Transactions, 2016, 45, 1763-1768, DOI: 10.1039/C5DT04398K
24. Retaining Individualities: the Photodynamics of Self-Ordering Porphyrin Assemblies, W. Quan, A. Pitto-Barry, L. Baker, E. Stulz, R. M. Napier, R. K. O’Reilly and V. Stavros, Chemical Communications, 2016, 52, 1938-1941, DOI: 10.1039/C5CC09095D
23. Synthesis and controlled growth of osmium nanoparticles by electron irradiation, A. Pitto-Barry, L. M. A. Perdigao, M. Walker, J. Lawrence, G. Costantini, P. J. Sadler, N. P. E. Barry, Dalton Transactions, 2015, 44, 20308-20311 DOI: 10.1039/c5dt03205a, part of Dalton Transactions’ HOT articles from 2015
22. The copolymer blending method: a new approach for targeted assembly of micellar nanoparticles, D. W. Wright, J. P. Patterson, A. Pitto-Barry, A. Lu, N. Kirby, N. C. Gianneschi, C. Chassenieux, O. Colombani, R. K. O’Reilly, Macromolecules, 2015, 48, 6516-6522, DOI: 10.1021/acs.macromol.5b01426
21. Amphiphilic block copolymer self-assemblies of poly(NVP)-b-poly(MDO-co-vinyl esters): tunable dimensions and functionalities, G. G. Hedir, A. Pitto-Barry, A. P. Dove, R. K. O’Reilly, Journal of Polymer Science, Part A: Polymer Chemistry, 2015, 53, 2699-2710 DOI: 10.1002/pola.27915 + front cover (link)
20. Self-assembly of temperature-responsive protein-polymer bioconjugates, D. Moatsou, J. Li, A. Ranji, A. Pitto-Barry, I. Ntai, M. C. Jewett, R. K. O’Reilly, Bioconjugate Chemistry, 2015, 26, 1890-1899, DOI: 10.1021/ACS.bioconjchem.5b00264 + front cover (link)
19. Osmium Atoms and Os2 Molecules Move Faster on Selenium-doped Compared to Sulfur-doped Boronic Graphenic Surfaces, N. P. E. Barry, A. Pitto-Barry, J. Tran, S. Spencer, A. Johansen, A. M. Sanchez, A. P. Dove, R. K. O’Reilly, R. Deeth, R. Beanland, P. J. Sadler, Chemistry of Materials, 2015, 27, 5100-5105, DOI: 10.1021/acs.chemmater.5b01853
18. RAFT dispersion polymerization: A method to tune the morphology of thymine-containing self-assemblies, Y. Kang, A. Pitto-Barry, A. Maitland, R. K. O’Reilly, Polymer Chemistry, 2015, 6, 4984-4992, DOI: 10.1039/c5py00617a
17. Arene ruthenium dithiolato-carborane complexes for boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT), I. Romero-Canelón, B. Phoenix, A. Pitto-Barry, J. Tran, J. J. Soldevila-Barreda, N. Kirby, S. Green, P. J. Sadler, N. P. E. Barry, Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, 2015, 796, 17-25, DOI: 10.1016/j.jorganchem.2015.05.011, dedicated to Professor Georg Süss-Fink on the occasion of his 65th birthday
16. Complementary light scattering and synchrotron small-angle X-ray scattering studies of the micelle-to-unimer transition of polysulfobetaines, K. E. B. Doncom, A. Pitto-Barry, H. Willcock, A. Lu, B. E. McKenzie, N. Kirby and R. K. O’Reilly, Soft Matter, 2015, 11, 3666-3676, DOI: 10.1039/c5sm00602c
15. Tuning the aggegation behaviour of pH-responsive micelles by copolymerization, D. B. Wright, J. P. Patterson, A. Pitto-Barry, P. Cotanda, C. Chassenieux, O. Colombani and R. K. O’Reilly, Polymer Chemistry, 2015, 6, 2761-2768, DOI: 10.1039/c4py01782j
14. Exploiting nucleobase-containing materials – from monomers to complex morphologies using RAFT dispersion polymerization, Y. Kang, A. Pitto-Barry, H. Willcock, W-D. Quan, N. Kirby, A. M. Sanchez and R. K. O’Reilly, Polymer Chemistry, 2015, 6, 106-117, DOI: 10.1039/C4PY01074D
13. Designing supramolecular liquid-crystalline hybrids from pyrenyl-containing dendrimers and arene ruthenium metalla-cycles, A. Pitto-Barry, N. P. E. Barry, V. Russo, B. Heinrich, B. Donnio, B. Therrien, Bruno, and R. Deschenaux, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2014, 136, 17616-17625, DOI: 10.1021/ja510338r
12. Structural reorganization of cylindrical nanoparticles triggered by polylactide stereocomplexation, L. Sun, A. Pitto-Barry, N. Kirby, T. Schiller, A. Sanchez, M. Dyson, J. Sloan, N. Wilson, R. K. O’Reilly, and A. P. Dove, Nature Communications, 2014, 5, 5746, DOI: 10.1038/ncomms6746
11. Dual effect of thiol addition on fluorescent polymeric micelles: ON-to-OFF emissive switch and morphology transition, A. Mabire, M. P. Robin, H. Willcock, A. Pitto-Barry, N. Kirby and R. K. O’Reilly, Chemical Communications, 2014, 50, 11492-11495, DOI: 10.1039/C4CC04713C
10. Precious metal carborane polymer nanoparticles: characterisation of micellar formulations and anticancer activity, N. P. E. Barry, A. Pitto-Barry, I. Romero-Canelón, J. Tran, J. J. Soldevilla-Barreda, I. Hands-Portman, C. J. Smith, N. Kirby, A. P. Dove, R. K. O’Reilly and P. J. Sadler, Faraday Discussions, 2014, 175, 229-240, DOI: 10.1039/c4fd00098f
9. Fabrication of crystals from single metal atoms, N. P. E. Barry, A. Pitto-Barry, A. M. Sanchez, A. P. Dove, R. J. Procter, J. J. Soldevila-Barreda, N. Kirby, I. Hands-Portman, C. J. Smith, R. K. O’Reilly, R. Beanland, P. J. Sadler, Nature Communications, 2014, 5, 4851, DOI: 10.1038/ncomms4851
8. Synthetic strategies, sustainability and biological applications of malic acid-based polymers, S. L. King, V. X. Truong, C. Kirchhoefer, A. Pitto-Barry, A. P. Dove, Green Materials, 2014, 2, 107-122, DOI: 10.1680/gmat.14.00005
‡7. Pluronic block-copolymers in medicine: From chemical and biological versatility to rationalisation and clinical advances, A. Pitto-Barry and N. P. E. Barry, Polymer Chemistry, 2014, 5, 3291-3297, DOI: 10.1039/C4PY00039K + front cover (link)
6. Construction of DNA–polymer hybrids using intercalation interactions, T. Wilks, A. Pitto-Barry, N. Kirby, E. Stulz and R. K. O’Reilly, Chemical Communications, 2014, 50, 1338-1340, DOI: 10.1039/C3CC48726A
5. Expanding the scope of the crystallization-driven self-assembly of polylactide-containing polymers, A. Pitto-Barry, N. Kirby, A. P. Dove and R. K. O’Reilly, Polymer Chemistry, 2014, 5, 1427-1436, DOI: 10.1039/C3PY01048A, one of the 2014’s most accessed Polymer Chemistry articles
4. Tuning the size of cylindrical micelles from poly(L-lactide)-b-poly(acrylic acid) diblock copolymers based on crystallization-driven self-assembly, L. Sun, N. Petzetakis, A. Pitto-Barry, T. Schiller, N. Kirby, D. Keddie, B. Boyd, R. K. O’Reilly and A. P. Dove, Macromolecules, 2013, 46, 9074–9082, DOI: 10.1021/ma401634s
3. Enhancement of cytotoxicity by combining pyrenyl-dendrimers and arene ruthenium metalla-cages, A. Pitto-Barry, O. Zava, P. J. Dyson, R. Deschenaux and B. Therrien, Inorganic Chemistry, 2012, 51, 7119-7124, DOI: 10.1021/ic202739d
2. Encapsulation of pyrene-functionalised poly(benzyl ether) dendrons into a water-soluble organometallic cage, A. Pitto-Barry, N. P. E. Barry, O. Zava, R. Deschenaux and B. Therrien, Chemistry: an Asian Journal, 2011, 6, 1595-1603, DOI: 10.1002/asia.201100136
1. Double targeting of tumours with pyrenyl-modified dendrimers encapsulated in an arene-ruthenium metallaprism, A. Pitto-Barry, N. P. E. Barry, O. Zava, R. Deschenaux, P. J. Dyson and B. Therrien, Chemistry: a European Journal, 2011, 17, 1966-1971, DOI: 10.1002/chem.201002634
‡ indicates that Dr Pitto-Barry is the corresponding author
- N. P. E. Barry, A. Pitto-Barry, J. J. Soldevila-Barreda, J. Cox, Antibiotics, 2020, P349270GB
- A. Pitto-Barry, and N. P. E. Barry, “CO absorber”, 2018, GB1806060.8, PCT/GB2019/051059
- A. Pitto-Barry, R. Beanland, P. J. Sadler and N. P. E. Barry, “Nanocrystals”, 2015, PCT/GB2015/051264