Joan received his BSc in Chemistry at Univeristat de Barcelona (Spain) in 2010. In 2014 he obtained his Ph.D. in Inorganic and Medicinal Chemistry from Warwick University (U.K.) under the supervision of Prof. Peter J. Sadler FRS. He obtained an IAS early career fellowship (2014-2015) from Warwick University to conduct postdoctoral research in Prof. Sadler laboratory. In 2015 he was awarded a prestigious Alexander von Humboldt postdoctoral fellowship to join Prof. Nils Metzler-Nolte research laboratory at Ruhr Bochum University (Germany). He joined the group in August 2018 to work on a 2-years AMS funded project to unveil the anticancer properties of electron-deficient organometallics.
12. Anticancer activity of electron‐deficient metal complexes against colorectal cancer in vitro models,
M. Azmanova, J. J. Soldevila-Barreda, H. Bani Hani, R.M. Lord, A. Pitto-Barry, S. Picksley, and N. P. E. Barry, ChemMedChem, 2019, DOI: 10.1002/cmdc.201900528
11. Intracellular Catalysis with Selected Metal Complexes and Metallic Nanoparticles: Advances toward the Development of Catalytic Metallodrugs, J. J. Soldevila-Barreda, and N. Metzler-Nolte, Chemical Reviews, 2019, 119, 829-869.
10. Effect of sulfonamidoethylenediamine substituents in RuII arene anticancer catalysts on transfer hydrogenation of coenzyme NAD+ by formate, F. Chen, J. J. Soldevila-Barreda, I. Romero-Canelon, J. P. C. Coverdale, J. I. Song, G. J. Clarkson, J. Kasparkova, A. Habtemariam, V. Brabec, J. A. Wolny, V. Schunemann, and P. J. Sadler, Dalton Transactions, 2018, 47, 7178-7189.
9. Transfer Hydrogenation and Antiproliferative Activity of Tethered Half-Sandwich Organoruthenium Catalysts, F. Chen, I. Romero-Canelon, J. J. Soldevila-Barreda, J. I. Song, J. P. C. Coverdale, G. J. Clarkson, J. Kasparkova, A. Habtemariam, M. Wills, V. Brabec, and P. J. Sadler, Organometallics, 2018, 37, 1555-1566.
8. New activation mechanism for half-sandwich organometallic anticancer compounds, J. J. Soldevila-Barreda†, S. Banerjee†, J. A. Wolny†, C. A. Wootton, A. Habtemariam, I. Romero-Canelon, F. Chen, G. J. Clarkson, I. Prokes, L. Song, P. B. O’Connor, V. Schunemann, and P. J. Sadler, Chemical Science, 2018, 9, 3177-3185.
7. Half-sandwich rhodium(III) transfer hydrogenation catalysts: Reduction of NAD+ and pyruvate, and antiproliferative activity, J. J. Soldevila-Barreda, A. Habtemariam, I. Romero- Canelón, and P. J. Sadler, Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, 2015, 153, 322-333.
6. Arene ruthenium dithiolato-carborane complexes for boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT), I. Romero-Canelón, B. Phoenix, A. Pitto-Barry, J. Tran, J. J. Soldevila-Barreda, N. Kirby, S. Green, P. J. Sadler, and N. P. E. Barry, Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, 2015, 796, 17-25.
5. Tranfer hydrogenation catalysis in cells as a new approach to anticancer drug design, J. J. Soldevila-Barreda†, I. Romero-Canelón†, A. Habtemariam, and P. J. Sadler, Nature Communications, 2015, 6, 6582.
4. Approaches to the design of catalytic metallodrugs, J. J. Soldevila-Barreda, and P. J. Sadler, Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, 2015, 25, 1-12.
3. Precious metal carborane polymer nanoparticles: characterisation of micellar formulations and anticancer activity, N. P. E. Barry, A. Pitto-Barry, I. Romero, J. Tran, J. J. Soldevila-Barreda, I. Hands-Portman, C. J. Smith, N. Kirby, A. P. Dove, R. K. O’Reilly, and P. J. Sadler, Faraday Discussions, 2014, 175, 229-240.
2. Fabrication of crystals from single metal atoms, N. P. E. Barry, A. Pitto-Barry, A. M. Sanchez, A. P. Dove, R. J. Procter, J. J. Soldevila-Barreda, N. Kirby, I. Hands-Portman, C. J. Smith, R. K. O’Reilly, R. Beanland, and P. J. Sadler, Nature Communications, 2014, 5, 3851.
1. Improved Catalytic Activity of Ruthenium−Arene Complexes in the Reduction of NAD+, J. J. Soldevila-Barreda†, P. C. A. Bruijnincx†, A. Habtemariam, G. J. Clarkson, R. J. Deeth, and P. J. Sadler, Organometallics, 2012, 31, 5958-5967.